The title of this Shiley Bassey song came to mind when I stumbled upon an issue of Delo newspaper dated December 9th 1985. It was a funny feeling. Dated almost 23 years ago, this particular issue of Delo bears striking similarities to today’s headlines. It is as if we are running around in circles. You don’t believe me? Try this on for size:
1: West Germany Threatned By A Wave Of Strikes
A quarter of a century later the Germans are still up to their old tricks apparently
2. OPEC Looking To Solve Oil Woes
Hm… If you only knew back then….
3. Primož Ulaga Beats World Elite In Canada
The legendary Slovene ski-jumper won in Thunder Bay, Canada and went on to win the Planica event three years later. This year the whole thing was dominated by Austrians
4. USA Amassing Planes Off Lybia?
USA Amassing Planes Off Iran?
5. Hurricane Strikes Germany, Floods Hit Holland
The only difference is that they didn’t name European windstorms back then
6. Page 5: 50 members of Albanian separatist movement arrested
It’s just that today its the Serbs who are getting arrested.
8. Police Officers Killed In South Africa
But, there are also differences…
9. Bishops Agree: A Compromise Between Fractions
A paper, even today accused of being communist, running an article about Vatican proceedings in top left corner back in 1985?. My, my…
10. A New Bankonte For 5000 Dinars
Well, we’re still far from a new euro banknote being issued – let alone one with Tito’s face on it – but, not surprisingly, inflation was a problem then as it is now.